Build or repair your credit score with a Secured Credit Card.
Our Credit Builder Credit Card offers an affordable, fixed rate so you can easily budget for your monthly payments. Timely payments are an essential part of building and repairing credit. For best results, try paying off your Classic Secured Credit Card balance in full each month before you accrue any interest charges.
Benefits of Our Classic Secured Credit Card
- 15.24% APR*: Enjoy a fixed annual percentage rate (APR), so budgeting is easy.
- No Balance Transfer Fee1: Transfer your balance from another lender and get the same fixed APR.
- Low Annual Fee: Access our credit builder credit card with an annual fee of just $15.
More Great Features of Our Credit Repair Card
A good credit score opens doors to affordable financing, including lower rates on credit cards, personal loans, auto loans, and even home loans. Your credit can also impact whether or not you're approved for these financial tools. That's why our Classic Credit Card offers an affordable, fixed rate to help you build or repair your credit.
We’ve made it easy to access your credit card account. Whether you want to check your balance, review transactions or make payments, you can access it all directly through your HCCU Online Banking Account or log in from here.
Simple Application Process for a Credit Repair Credit Card
Credit Builder Credit Card FAQs
What are the benefits of a credit builder credit card?
Our Visa Classic Credit Card is ideal if:
- You’re beginning your financial journey and have not yet established a credit history. For example, this card serves well as a student credit card.
- You’ve made a few financial mistakes and now have a low credit score, so you need to repair your score. For example, you have a history of missed payments.
All Visa Credit Card applications require a credit check and a credit report review, but we offer this unsecured credit card regardless of your credit history. If you don't qualify, you can explore a secured card that lets you borrow against funds in your HCCU savings or certificate account.
Another advantage is that this is a fixed APR credit card with a low annual fee, so you can quickly achieve your financial goals. Your APR won't change even if the prime rate changes. Fixed-interest credit cards are beneficial when market rates are high.
How can I use the Classic Credit Card to repair or build my credit?
Five different factors determine your credit score, and it's a good idea to consider each aspect so you can take positive steps to build or rebuild your credit. That way, you can increase your approval odds, get lower credit card interest rates, and get a higher credit limit.
1. Timely Payment History = 35% of your score. Always pay your bills on time and, if possible, make your credit card payment before the due date. Aim to pay your balance in full, but if you carry a balance month to month, you need to pay at least the minimum amount due by the due date.
2. Amounts Owed = 30%. Also known as the credit utilization rate, this looks at how much of your total available credit you have used. To boost your score, try to use less than 30% of your credit card limit.
3. Length of Credit History = 15%. You build credit over time and your score will improve as you hold accounts open for longer. This is why it can be useful to keep an old credit card account open with a zero balance.
4. Credit Mix = 10%. To score well here, you need a healthy mix of credit types such as a credit card, personal loan, auto loan, or home loan. However, you don't want to apply for unnecessary loans just to boost your credit. It should evolve naturally as you continue on your financial journey.
5. New Credit = 10%. Your credit score will usually take a small, temporary hit when you apply for a new credit card and it's best not to apply for different types of credit cards and loans in a short time. However, it is generally okay to shop around and get pre–approved for the same type of credit within about two weeks.
*Annual Percentage Rate, see Pricing and Fee Details. View Disclosure.
1Other fees apply. Cash advance fee is 3.00% of the amount of each cash advance. Foreign transaction fee is up to 1% of each transaction in U.S. dollars.
Rates and terms are subject to change without notice. All loans are subject to credit approval.
More Financing Options From Heritage Community Credit Union
We offer a full suite of loans with affordable rates and flexible terms so you can get the financing you need to achieve your goals. Whether you want an auto loan, home loan, or personal loan, we offer local decision-making, processing, and servicing to meet the unique needs of our Sacramento members.
Our personal loans offer a lump sum payment for a wide range of purposes, including debt consolidation, medical expenses, car repairs, or even a vacation. If you need to build or repair your credit, our Share-Secured Personal Loan lets you borrow against funds in your HCCU savings or certificate account.
Home Equity Loans
If you've built up equity in your home, you may want to access the funds to pay for significant expenses such as home improvements, college tuition, and debt consolidation. You can choose between a lump sum home equity loan or a revolving home equity line of credit (HELOC).